Many seniors wish to live as independently as they can for as long as they can. However, when health conditions begin to decline and independent living is no longer appropriate, assisted living becomes an option. In an assisted living facility, residents are provided with an environment that allows them to have the independence they need, while having the supervision and assistance necessary to promote their safety and well-being.
Assisted living facilities have caregivers and trained staff available to monitor, supervise, and/or assist with activities of daily living. They also provide assistance with medication Medical doctor administration or intake. They coordinate with the appropriate health care providers for the residents to ensure their health and safety.
Many assisted living facilities do not directly employ the medical professionals necessary to provide the assistance that many of their residents may need. Therefore, the relationships between home health agencies and other medical service providers are very important. Home health agencies can provide medical services for many of the conditions that residents in an assisted living facility commonly have.
Some of the most common conditions are:
2. COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) and other respiratory illnesses
3. Abnormality of gait or dysfunction of the nervous system and/or musculoskeletal systems
4. Declining functions including those who are at high risk for falls and those who have difficulties with activities of daily living.
5. Those who need post-hospitalization treatments
6. Those who need assistance with management of medications
7. Blood draw and laboratory support
8. Catheter management
9. Diabetic teaching
10. G-tube and colostomy care
11. Infusion therapy
12. Nutrition assessment and support
13. Palliative care
14. Wound care
Home health professionals are commonly those who are certified and/or licensed with the following positions:
– Skilled Nursing
– Physical Therapy
– Medical Social Worker
– Occupational Therapy
– Speech Therapy
– Home Health Aide